There are three phases in Startup Stars 2015, starting with workshops and events to help with team formation in early March, and culminating in a Grand Finale final event on 23rd June, at which a winning team will be selected and awarded a prize of €3,000. Details on each of the three phases are available below, and an overview of key dates can be viewed here.
UCD StartupStars will begin with cross-disciplinary workshops and course modules delivered during Semester 1 and 2 at UCD College of Business and UCD Innovation Academy. During this period students from across the University will explore what real world problems exist, whether these problems are big enough to be worth solving and what solutions could be designed to address those problems.
Students will also have the opportunity to form teams with like-minded peers at the Team Forming event in February 2017. Ideas will emerge. Teams will form. Startups will be born.
Student teams submit an application online through YouNoodle by the 24th of March 2017(note: you will need to set up an account to apply). Click here to apply now.
On 5th April 2017, up to fifteen applicants will be invited to pitch to a panel of entrepreneurs and mentors from NovaUCD, UCD College of Business and the UCD Innovation Academy.
At this pitch event, seven successful teams will be selected to participate on an intensive 4-week programme at NovaUCD, kicking off on the 29th of May 2017.
Teams are selected based on the following criteria:
- Is there a big business problem that’s worth solving?
- Does the proposed solution address this problem effectively?
- Has appropriate thought been given to the future development of the project?
- Does the team demonstrate a strong collaborative spirit and an ability to deliver?
- Overall is the value proposition clearly articulated and compelling?
Phase 3 at NovaUCD
The intensive 4-week programme will consist of a series of workshops including taught content from industry experts, interactive workshops as well as regular pitching sessions.
In addition to the structured workshops there will be team mentoring and opportunities to network with the community of entrepreneurs who are based at NovaUCD.
The following are examples of the areas will be covered, using the business model canvas, throughout the programme:
- Introduction and Business Model Canvas
- Building the Value Proposition & Customer Segments
- The Customer Journey Framework
- Revenue Model and Pricing
- Funding Strategy and Sources
- Building the Team – Start-up Culture, Founders & Understanding Emotional
- Pitching for Investment and What a VC is Looking For
The Grand Finale
At the final workshop on the 23rd of June 2017 each startup will present their business model to an assessment panel consisting of representatives from the StartupStars corporate sponsors.
Based on evaluation of the presentation and the business plan, the panel will pick one overall winning team who will be awarded a prize of €3,000 to help them on their startup journey.
Terms and Conditions
Please click here to read the terms and conditions for participants in UCD Startup Stars.